[ PAGE IN CONSTRUCTION ]
Angra [“do Heroísmo”, after 1834] was one of the central port cities in the Atlantic maritime routes since the beginning of the sixteenth century.
It became a vila sometime in the end of the fifteenth century and in 1534 it was elevated to the category of city, as well as the seat of the Diocese of Angra. By this time the city had become an important port in the Carreira da Índia with the establishment of the Provedoria das Armadas, managed by Pero Anes do Canto. The city played a central part in the 1580s Spanish military campaigns during the succession, with D. António, Prior of Crato, housing in Angra before travelling to England.
Angra saw the foundation of several religious houses (both feminine and masculine) during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries mostly Franciscans, but also Augustinian and later Capucin. It was also established in Angra the first Jesuit college of the Azores in late sixteenth century.
Angra do Heroísmo – An Historical Soundscape Project has been in development since early 2017. It is a work in progress with open objectives and has consisted in the presentation of papers in national and international scientific meetings and the publication of articles in national and international scientific journals, as well as the publication of texts in magazines and newspapers that, less formal than the scientific articles, are intended to spread the knowledge to a more wide audience of the historical soundscape of Angra.